If you haven’t already heard of Manuka honey, let me give you a quick run-down. Basically, Manuka first burst on to the scene about 3 years ago with its super antibacterial qualities and promises that it could solve all of your life’s problems (almost).
But of course, since Manuka is so 2014, there is a new kid on the block. Meet Kanuka, Manuka’s just as amazing cousin that is promising to revolutionise the health industry. Kanuka honey is produced in New Zealand from the Aotea Kanuka (Kunzea sinclairli) tree that has been found to produce a powerful oil and honey that like Manuka has powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Since the discovery of its special properties in 2015, this rare ingredient has been harvested from the trees and used in various beauty and health products. The trees which are found on the Great Barrier Island off the coast of New Zealand’s North Island have their oil and honey harvested by farmer Sven Stellin, the man behind Sven’s Island health products. Sven has been living on the island for his entire life and is passionate about developing natural remedies using the native plants around him.
The reason the health world is so excited about Kanuka is that through clinical trials it has been shown to help many skin conditions and it is hoped that Kanuka may play a role in fighting antibiotic resistance in the future. All up it is one pretty amazing tree.
Kanuka Honey Rapid Fire
- Kanuka honey can only be harvested once a year when the trees blossom (around February and March)
- Aotea Kanuka oil is 100 times more powerful than medical grade UMF Manuka Honey
- The all-important PGE-1 and ACP protein is only found in the medical grade Kanuka honey, not the common bush variety
- Aotea Kanuka oil is high in antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Much like a good wine, the longer that Kanuka honey is left in the barrels, the more powerful it becomes
- Where to get your green thumb on in Sydney - January 16, 2018
- 5 snacks to keep you energised at work - January 8, 2018
- Move Over Manuka, Kanuka is the new buzz word in honey health - December 29, 2017
- 6 Herbal Medicine books you need in your life - December 27, 2017
- The Health Trends you NEED to know about in 2018 - December 21, 2017