I love a muesli bar as much as the next person, but the ones on supermarket shelves often have a number of suspicious ingredients. Try making a batch of these cereal bars instead. Use plain almonds and salt if you prefer them without the smoky flavour.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 200 g (1 cup) pitted prunes, finely chopped
- 180 g (2/3 cup) natural peanut or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 160 g (1 cup) smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 30 g (1 cup) puffed brown rice
- 30 g (1/4 cup) cacao nibs
- 40 g (1/4 cup) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 150 g dark chocolate (85% cacao), melted
- 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- Put the coconut oil and prunes in a large wide-based saucepan over low to medium heat and mash with a fork.
- Stir in the nut butter and honey until well combined and gooey.
- Remove from the heat and stir through almonds, puffed rice, cacao nibs and pepitas. Mix well.
- Press the mixture in a layer about 1.5 cm thick into the base of a silicone baking tin or a baking tin lined with baking paper.