Dandelion (or just Dandy, if you’re hipster), makes an awesome coffee substitute. It’s roasted so you get that earthy, rich aroma that you get from your usual morning brew, but with the benefit of zero caffeine. I’m quite sure around xmas time I get enough caffeine through chocolate. It’s also a bit hard-hitting on your adrenals, so I like to moderate my intake at times of higher stress. Dandy is the perfect option. It’s great for detoxification of your liver – which is also helpful at Christmas if you’re prone to a drink or six – and also helps promote healthy digestion.
Light the fire and cuddle up with a cup of this and a daggy film. Santa will soon be here!
- 1 roasted dandelion tea bag (I like this one)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tsp Natvia (granulated stevia)
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk, heated
- 1 tablespoon coconut yoghurt (or full-fat whipped cream, if you tolerate dairy)
Tip: if you don’t care for your adrenals, or just need the damn caffeine hit because you were up all night wrapping presents, this recipe works just as well with normal coffee. Hoorah!
- In a large cup, brew your dandelion tea for 5-8 minutes in the 1/2 cup boiling water until super strong.
- Remove the tea and add spices, stevia, and milk of choice, mixing well. A little stick frother works wonders here for a fancy bit of foam.
- Dollop on the coconut yoghurt and give it a little mix, then sprinkle with additional cinnamon.