You’ve had a heavy weekend and your guts need some loving’. Make this in advance and keep it in your fridge for months (if it lasts that long).
Not only are fermented products amazing at keeping the bacteria in your gut happy (which comes with a wealth of amazing health benefits). Researchers have established a compelling link between gut bacteria and mental health – 90% of the body’s total serotonin is produced in the digestive tract. The right amount of serotonin in the brain produces a calm and happy feeling. Happy food!
SERVES: 1 Jar
- ½ head of green cabbage
- 200g carrot, grated
- 300g broccoli florets, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric, grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons Himalayan sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Remove the large outer leaves of the cabbage set aside.
- Slice the remaining cabbage with a food processor or excellent knife skills.
- Put all the ingredients into large bowl and mix well then let it sit for 30 min, so that the cabbage becomes watery and limp.
- Put everything into a jar (I used 2l wide-mouth mason jar).
- Press the cabbage mix into the jar and pour the released liquid on top.
- Place one of the larger outer leaves of the cabbage over the surface of the sliced cabbage. This will help keep the cabbage submerged in its liquid.
- Place a weight on top – such as a smaller jar filled with water.
- Cover everything with a clean tea towel or dish cloth. Set in a cool place, out of sunlight for 7 days.
- Check the kraut daily and press the weight down a few times to release any gases. The mix should always be submerged in liquid.
- After 7 days, remove the leaves and place the finished brocco-kraut in the refrigerator. It will last at least 9 months or longer in your fridge.
Note: If you see told on the top – remove that part. Everything in the liquid will be safe to eat.
wow that looks amazing..thanks for sharing it.