If your Instagram feed is awash with yellow drinks and you’re feeling a little confused, it’s time to jump on the Golden Mylk bandwagon. It’s the next big health trend to come out of Asia after ghee and coconut oil. Cafes from Sydney to LA are spicing up their menus with turmeric-and-coconut-milk drink combos. While we’re just catching on, mixing turmeric root with milk is a well-entrenched drink in Indian food culture, where it is considered a restorative brew. The goodness come from the turmeric – known for its benefits to digestion, immune function, liver health and even possible protection from cancer. It’s a healthy alternative to your morning coffee, it tastes great, and it’s easy to make your own.
- 2 cups of almond milk or additive-free coconut milk (I love a mix of the two!)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric – ground or freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup, stevia or maple syrup to taste
- Pinch of black pepper (to increase absorption)
- ¼ tsp ginger – ground or freshly grated
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice (optional)
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth or whisk together well in a small bowl.
- Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot (but not boiling).
- Pour into your favourite mug and drink immediately!
Want some green mylk too for pretty pictures? Read about the benefits of Matcha Lattes right here!