I used to think figs were reserved for people with digestive issues, but when my friend at the local farmers market forced me to try the fresh stuff, I was hooked. Juicy and not overly sweet, figs make a fantastic base for stronger flavours. Here they’re paired with cinnamon and rice malt syrup – but get creative with other items in your cupboard for endless variations!
- 2 ripe figs
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup*
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat grill to a medium-high heat.
- Cut a deep cross in to the top of both figs, then ease apart.
- Place figs in a small baking dish, and place the coconut oil in the center of the fruits.
- Drizzle over rice malt syrup, dust with cinnamon and scatter over the pistachios.
- Grill for 5 minutes until a stick sauce forms at the bottom of the dish and the figs have just softened.
- Serve yoghurt among two plates, drizzle sauce over the top and top with the grilled figs.
*Sub rice malt syrup for maple syrup, coconut nectar or raw honey – whatever your preference.
This dish also works well with almonds and mixed spice in place of the cinnamon and pistachios.