The nutrition in carrots are held in protein sacs that have to be broken by heat (cooking) or mechanical action (grinding, juicing, proper chewing).Also, by cooking carrots in oil you can increase the availability of carotenoids by 600 percent.This recipe calls for roasting in hazelnut oil, so you will get a maximum kick of nutrients and good fats. Serve alongside your favourite lean meat dishes.
- 300g Chantenay carrots
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar, rice malt syrup or honey
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut oil
- Preheat oven to 170°.
- Wash carrots, but do not peel.
- Dry with kitchen roll and place on a foil lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil and shake carrots until well coated.
- Pour over agave and season with pepper to taste.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes until caramelised and serve.
Use olive oil if you don’t have hazelnut oil.
Chantenay carrots can be replaced by thickly-cut batons of the common carrot.
Add some parsnips to your roasting tray if in season.