I am literally drooling over this new breakfast creation. Warming cinnamon with sweet apple and juicy raisins, this is just like having a slice of ‘naughty’ pie from the local cafe, without the guilt! Bake ahead for a nutritionally balanced breakfast on-the-go!
- 1 apple
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sultanas
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon natural vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Natvia (or natural sweetener of choice)
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup or honey
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk of choice (almond, cow, soy, rice all work well)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180º.
- Core the apple, then cut half into thin slices, and dice the other half.
- In a bowl, whisk egg, vanilla, milk, honey and melted coconut oil with a fork until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients with diced apple – but exclude apple slices.
- Spray a large baking dish with a little oil, then pour in dry ingredients.
- Arrange apple slices over the top, then pour over the in milk mix.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until milk mix has solidified, then remove and allow to cool before slicing and serving.
If apples and sultanas aren’t your thing, substitute for raspberries and slices of banana.
Toast under grill for 5 minutes and serve warm with fresh greek yogurt on a cold winters morning.
Add in ¼ cup dark chocolate chips, cacao nibs or carob chips (optional) before baking for the kids.