I know Nutella love to advertise themselves as a ‘healthy’ nut spread packed with milk and natural goodness, but it’s dangerously addictive. Why is it that I can’t leave the jar alone?
Here’s a closer look at the ingredients list (in order of highest quantity): Sugar, Vegetable Palm Oil, Hazelnuts (13%), Skim Milk Powder (8.7%), Fat-Reduced Cocoa Powder (7.4%), Emulsifier (Lecithins) (Soy), Flavouring (Vanillin). Hum… SUGAR is the first ingredient, meaning it spikes your blood sugar levels and when they drop, you’re left crying out for more. Sugar is swiftly followed by palm oil – don’t even get me started on that one.
So kicking my addiction with something a little less toxic…homemade chocolate nut butter, dip or sauce – whatever consistency you prefer, it should go on everything. Perfect for when sweet cravings hit, the healthy fats from the pure nuts and coconut oil will actually mean you don’t eat that much – it’s really satisfying to stick to just a couple of tablespoons. *eye roll* Just trust me.
1. Roast hazelnuts for about 8-10 minutes until they slightly darken and become fragrant. Allow to cool.
2. Remove the skins by rolling inside a tea towel.
3. Place the hazelnuts in your blender or food processor.
4. Process until a paste forms, scraping down the sides as needed.
5. Now add in the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined – about 1 minute.
6. Place in a glass jar and allow to cool completely.
7. Store in the fridge for up to 10 days (if it lasts that long).
8. Spread on EVERYTHING!