I know adding egg whites to your morning oats sounds a little odd, but it’s actually pretty amazing. It makes for a deliciously fluffy (and wonderfully filling) breakfast, supercharged with plenty of protein. The key is to avoid scrambling the eggs by continuously stirring when added – it’s a little bit of effort for a lot of gain. Once you’ve tried them you’ll never go back…pinky swear.
SERVES: 1 bowl
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- ½ ripe banana, sliced or 1 tbsp Natvia (stevia)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract or 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger + allspice)
- pinch of sea salt
- pepitas and linseeds for topping (optional)
- In saucepan over high heat, combine the almond milk or water, banana or stevia, pumpkin, spices, vanilla and salt.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and add oats.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring regularly, until liquid is absorbed (about 5-6 mins).
- Add egg whites and whisk constantly until a thick, fluffy consistency is reached (about 1-2 mins).
- Once liquid is absorbed, serve in a bowl with your favourite toppings. Enjoy!
Try drizzling with your favourite nut butter (mine’s almond) and topping with pecans for a dose of healthy fats.
This looks very filling! will give it a whirl – I love porridge!
Can you substitute the pumpkin for any other fruit/vegetable, or could you take it out altogether?
Hi Alice! It’s just there for nutritional value – you could add mashed sweet potato, grated zucchini or just take it out completely x