Swap your cafe-bought banana bread for this delicious sugar-free version, and get some extra fruit and heart-healthy nuts in your diet. Bonus!
SERVES: Makes 12 Slices
- 2 mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 pear
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup crushed walnuts, plus extra for decorating
- 1 scoop protein powder*
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Natvia (or other natural sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar or honey (optional)
*Chocolate, vanilla, banana and unflavoured protein powders all work well.
- Pre-heat oven to 180º.
- Peel and cube the pear.
- Mix all ingredients (apart from pear, walnuts and sultanas) together in food processor.
- Stir in pear cubes, walnuts and raisins, then pour into lined loaf tin.
- Sprinkle additional walnuts on top, if desired.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes, until just browning.
- Remove and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Whilst cooling, drizzle with a little raw honey or coconut nectar if desired.
- Serve cool – the flavours are much stronger.
If your bananas are ripe, you can reduce the amount of sweetener added to 1 tablespoon.
This won’t rise like traditional banana bread due to the lack of flour – so use a small loaf tin if you want a deep slice.
Cut the cooked loaf into 1-inch squares for a portion-controlled treat.