Maca powder is known for its hormone balancing properties and is said to help increase endurance when you’re working out, so you can work up a sweat for longer. I love it because it tastes like caramel, and what better way to pair that than with waffles that taste like banana bread?! Save yourself the hefty cafe prices and whip these up in your pyjamas this weekend.
SERVES: 3 (makes 6)
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup pecan or almond meal
- 2 tablespoons stevia (Natvia)
- 3 tablespoons maca powder
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt flakes
- Sliced banana, raw honey and walnuts, to serve.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a bowl, combine the mashed banana, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Mix in the flours, stevia, maca powder, baking powder and salt, stirring until well combined.
- Spray the waffle iron with a little coconut oil, and depending on the size of your waffle maker, spoon in enough batter to cook your waffles – my batter made 6 waffles.
- Cook the waffles (according to your maker’s instructions) or until browned.
- Stack the waffles and top with a drizzle of raw honey, sliced banana, walnuts and if you’re feeling indulgent, a little melted 85% dark chocolate too!
- Freeze any spare waffles and toast them when you’re ready to eat!