I’m not going to lie, I miss pizza. But anyone on a low-carb diet knows those white-flour cheesy slices are a no-go. This dish uses Portobello mushrooms as a base and can be thrown together with whatever remaining veg you have in the fridge. An excellent way of incorporating more veggies into your diet, this dish also satisfies pizza cravings.
Sorry Dominos, you’ll just have to wait…
- 1 large Portobello mushroom
- ½ clove of garlic, diced
- ¼ brown onion, diced
- ½ Roma tomato
- ½ teaspoon organic coconut oil
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Pinch black pepper
- ¼ cup grated low-fat cheddar
- Heat the grill on high.
- Wash the mushroom and de-stalk.
- Keep one slice of the tomato to one side, and dice the remaining.
- Sautee onion and garlic in coconut oil until soft.
- Add a pinch of salt and the diced tomato.
- Place mushroom upside-down on a baking sheet, and fill the crater with garlic, onion and tomato mix.
- Sprinkle with oregano and season with black pepper.
- Cover with grated cheese and the slice of tomato.
- Grill on high for 12 minutes until cheese is bubbling and mushroom is tender.
- Serve warm with a delicious side salad.
Add any variation of your favourite pizza toppings before grilling.
Himalayan salt contains 84 good-for-you minerals and trace elements that are removed in the processing of standard table salt. If you don’t have access to this salt, you can substitute for any good quality sea salt flakes.