Traditionally these delicious biscuits are made with rolled sugar, golden syrup, white flour and butter. So many times I’ve had to sadly shake my head when offered one and then silently curse my healthy eating approach to food. It’s not fair right?! So here’s my healthy version of these crumbly delights – coming in at just 87 calories each. Huzzah!
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- 1½ tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 150º.
- Combine oats, coconut and almonds in a food processor.
- Add the oil, spices, maple and vanilla. Blend again until well combined.
- Add water and process again until a dough forms.
- Shape into small cookies (approx 20) and place onto a pre-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before eating and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Coconut oil in this recipe can be substituted for macadamia or olive oil.
Substitute the rolled oats for quinoa flakes for a gluten-free version.