So its BBQ season again. What are you meant to take to a gathering when you’re told to bring a plate and don’t want to break your diet? Sans pastry, these crustless mini quiches offer just the solution. Small, tasty and easy on the waist – no one has to know your slipping them a super healthy, protein-packed nibble!
- 8 free-range organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon cottage cheese
- Pinch salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh pesto
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup grated low-fat cheddar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180º.
- In a bowl, crack eggs and break up yolks gently with a fork.
- Add cottage cheese, seasoning and pesto, and stir again until well combined.
- Place 12 silicone muffin cases on a baking sheet.
- Thinly slice cherry tomatoes and reserve 12 slices.
- In each cup, add a few leaves of spinach, some tomato and another spinach leaf or two.
- Divide egg mixture evenly among each cup, then top with grated cheese (if desired) and a slice of the reserved tomato.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until tops begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from silicone cases.
- Serve warm with a fresh seasonal salad.
Pesto not your thing? Try using smoked salmon and asparagus to fill your quiches instead.