This insanely delicious combo of salty and sweet makes for a perfect snack of salad topping any day of the week.
Skip the processed deli pork and try this for a nutritious, simple and delicious snack – what more could you ask for?
I see some happy little vegetarians.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ tbsp soy sauce, tamari or coconut amminos
- ½ tbsp liquid smoke
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp honey or rice malt syrup (vegan option)
- 4-5 drops liquid stevia (if using rice malt syrup)
- pinch sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 180º.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, liquid smoke, paprika, salt and sweetener of choice.
- Stir in coconut flakes until well coated and spread on a baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until coconut is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes – this allows the coconut to go deliciously crunchy.
- Serve anywhere you would enjoy bacon!
Both honey and rice malt syrup may be heated slightly to make it more viscous – makes it easier to mix!
Great soup or salad topper, but also delicious as a mid-afternoon snack all alone. 1/4 cup has approximately 100 calories.