I love pancakes, but very rarely do I find a cafe in Sydney that doesn’t smother them in syrup, or bacon, or both. So of course, I made my own – gluten and sugar free, of course. What better combination than the sweetness of fresh strawberries against earthy chocolate to start the day?
Thats right…I eat chocolate for breakfast.
- 4 tablespoons rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Natvia (stevia) or sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 free-range egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla essence
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 4 large strawberries, hulled & quartered
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (for cooking)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon coconut nectar / honey or ½ teaspoon Natvia
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- In a blender, combine oats, baking powder, sweetner of choice, yogurt, egg, vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Heat coconut oil in a shallow frying pan, and pour in 1/6 of the batter.
- Immediately sprinkle over cacao nibs, and flip when edges of the pancake begin to bubble.
- Cook on other side for 1 minute, and remove to a warm plate.
- Repeat with remaining batter, and stack pancakes.
- Stir together chocolate sauce ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- Top with strawberries and pour over sauce and enjoy.
Raw cacao powder is full of antioxidants but if you can’t lay your hands on any, unsweetened cocoa powder will work.