I miss cheese muffins. The ones at the local cafe topped with a crust of browned, bubbled cheese and overloaded with white flour. It was a no-brainer I had to healthify these delicious savoury morsels. My version also has no oil or flour, and with added veggies they are a much lighter way to enjoy! Pumpkin is low in calories and rich in dietary fibre, anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins. Serve a few with a side salad for a delicious lean lunch.
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1 grated zucchini
- ½ cup almond meal
- 100g grated low-fat cheese
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon dried italian herbs
- ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame & pumpkin seeds, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170º.
- In a bowl combine zucchini, cheese, almond meal, nutritional yeast (if using), herbs and spices. Mix well.
- In a blender, blend eggs and pumpkin until smooth, then pour into bowl and fold through until evenly combined.
- Spoon batter into 12 silicone muffin cases, top with seeds and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Delicious toasted with a thin spread of tahini.
Pour mixture into a loaf tin and slice once cooled, if you prefer.