Quinoa is a great source of protein, iron and fibre – awesome news for vegetarians. Slightly nutty in flavour, this super seed is a fantastic low GI carb that will keep you full for hours. This dish has a nice sweet twist with the addition of some chopped dried apricots, but fresh apple, pear or orange segments would work just as well.
- Handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons raw pistachios, chopped
- 12 unsweetened dried apricots, chopped
- 150g reduced-fat feta, cubed (optional)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (red or white)
- 3 cups cold water
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- In a pan over a high heat, add quinoa, water, lemon juice and zest.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Stir through remaining ingredients and serve warm.
This recipes calls for the use of dried apricots, however if apricots are in season, substitute the dried ones for 6 coarsely chopped fresh.
Allow to cool and stir through 150g baby spinach leaves for a delicious salad.
Top with sundried tomato flakes for extra crunch.