It’s cherry season in Aus, but for me that means hours at the sink with the new (and very unnecessary) kitchen gadget removing the pits. While fresh fruit is always best, it’s sometimes nice just to skip the hard labour and opt for the dried option instead. These delicious sour cherry bites are great when you just want something a little sweet to round off a dinner (or even breakfast, in my case) but you don’t want to devour a whole bowl of pud. This one’s for you, snacky sweet lovers… high protein, raw, gluten free: the perfect way to keep up that New Year’s resolution!
- 2 cups medjool dates
- 2 ½ cups almond meal
- 1 cup rice or pea protein powder
- ½ cup sour cherries, chopped
- ½ cup whole almonds
- 1 tbsp bee pollen (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Line a 52x26cm tray with foil or cling wrap.
- Pulse dates, protein, almond meal, vanilla and salt in a food processor until well combined.
- Add water if needed, until the mixture reaches a moist dough.
- Add cherries, bee pollen and whole almonds, and pulse lightly.
- Press dough into lined pan, flattening with a spatula or rolling pin.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before cutting into 4cm squares.
Cut into larger bars for a more substantial post-workout snack.