You can whip up this nutritious ‘pasta’ dish in under 10 minutes flat! No cooking required. Just blend, pour, and eat. This dish hits my dinner table at least a few times a month, particularly when I’m strapped for time. If you need something more hearty, add protein by the way of poached chicken, fish or tofu. Bookmark this page – you’ll be making this time and time again.
I love pasta but it makes me feel all ‘gluggy’ inside. The kinda meal you always regret afterwards that sends you into a food coma. I’ve totally cut it out of my diet for that reason. Why eat anything that makes you feel less than fantastic? There are far too many fabulous substitutions to eat stuff that makes you feel gross. If your pasta love-affair has strong game, stick with it (opt for wholewheat) and skip the noodles.
- 1-2 medium zucchini (I used yellow, but green are great too!)
- 1 large carrot
- 10 baby tomatoes
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe medium avocado, stone removed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon zest, for serving
Tip: As avocados oxidise quickly once sliced, this sauce is best served immediately. If you have leftovers, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Julienne, thickly grate or even better…spiralize your zucchini and carrot.
- In a blender, add the avocado, garlic, basil, nutritional yeast (optional), lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over the zucchini and carrot, then toss to coat.
- Serve between two bowls with cherry tomatoes, zest and fresh basil leaves.