I always struggle to get enough sleep. I don’t set my alarm in the event that I can trick my body into 10 more minutes, but it doesn’t seem to work. If I make it to bed late, my eyes really show it the next morning. Resident Expert Naturopath Reece Carter shares his simple remedy.
A few years ago, I halved the contents of my bathroom cabinet. I ditched the fragrance-laden creams and went back to basics. Red, irritated skin was calmed with chamomile, pimples kept at bay with green tea, and rosemary and coconut oil came together to keep hair thick and shiny. Anything that could be made from organic ingredients, I was doing it.
One of my favourites is my secret (up until now) under-eye gel that only has three ingredients, but boasts the power to decrease puffiness, hydrate tired skin, and moisturise all at once.
What you’ll need
- Aloe vera gel (from one large leaf)
- ½ cucumber
- Witch hazel extract (from pharmacy)
Slice the aloe vera leaf lengthways and scoop out the gel (careful to not get any green plant fibres, just the clear gel!). Place in a bowl to the side.
Chop the cucumber roughly and place in a food processor or blender, then strain through cheesecloth. Discard the pulp and keep the juice.
Add one teaspoon each of the witch hazel and the cucumber juice and mix through the gel. Continue to add one teaspoon of each and mix through until you’ve got the desired consistency.
And you’re done! Store it in the fridge and apply those mornings you need a little lift.
You can find plenty of Reece’s other #herbnerd recipes over at his YouTube channel – www.youtube.com/c/reececarterchannel/ – and keep yourself healthy,
- How to grow a stress-busting garden anywhere! - February 23, 2016
- Homemade Ginger Pastilles: Your Feel-Good Christmas Remedy - December 21, 2015
- How to Make A Turmeric Chai Latte - October 13, 2015
- Home Health Hack: Aloe Under Eye Gel - September 15, 2015
- Teas as Tonics: Bettering Your Health with Herbs - October 16, 2014