Okay, so this is a cheats version of a much longer recipe that I love, when I have the time for it (which is never). Who who really has time for anything these days?! If I can make is quicker, simpler and just as nourishing, then it’s going to be hitting my lunch bowl a few times a week. This one has steamed spinach (for iron), brown rice (to keep you fuller for longer), broccoli (for vitamins), mushrooms (for minerals) and an optional egg for protein. You can go all-out and top with some cubed avocado for those good fats, or just drizzle in a little olive oil. Regardless of all that healthy balanced stuff, it just tastes sooo damned good. Oh, and it’s on the table in under 10 mins. Forks at the ready.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (microwave packet if necessary)
- 3 blocks of frozen spinach
- 1 bunch brocollini
- 2 soft-boiled eggs
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- coconut or olive oil spray
- 2 tsp poppy or chia seeds (optional)
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 2 tsp natural hummus
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of salt
- Lightly spray a small frying pan with coconut or olive oil and turn on the heat.
- Add the mushrooms and begin to saute, stirring for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the brocollini and frozen spinach cubes for the same amount of time.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients until well combined in a small ramekin or bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cooked mushrooms, spinach, and rice together.
- Spoon the rice mix into two bowls or plates and top with brocollini, egg and seeds.
- Serve dressing at the table with the bowls and enjoy!