Love pasta but watching your carb intake? Full of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals, this dish is a powerhouse of nutrients, and will leave you feeling energised, not lethargic. It’s also super-versatile: enjoy for brunch, lunch or dinner, any time of the week.
- 3 cups packed basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼-½ cup extra virgin olive or walnut oil (depending on viscosity preference)
- ½ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded using either spiralizer or julienne peeler
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 fresh eggs
- Dried tomato flakes (optional garnish)
- Place your zucchini noodles on top of paper towels and season with salt.
- Set aside for at least 20 minutes, while they release their moisture.
- Meanwhile, add pesto ingredients to food processor (or blender) and pulse until well combined.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Sauté mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Gently squeeze the salted zucchini strands between dry paper towels, to remove excess moisture.
- Turn down the heat of the pan to medium-low, and add the zucchini strands to the pan. Stir well.
- Once heated through, remove from heat and stir through fresh pesto.
- Poach eggs in slow-bubbling water on the stove for about 5 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove eggs from water and drain on a paper towel, then serve on top of a pile of pesto ‘pasta’ and garnish as desired.
Add chicken for extra protein, if desired.
Vegans can replace egg with chopped cherry tomatoes and toasted walnuts.