There’s more to the whole grains game than brown rice. From quinoa (my fave) to bulgur, amaranth and more, whole grains make a delicious addition to a balanced diet. Teff is a gluten-free ancient grain, but the new kid on the block with health fans – fast gaining a reputation as a ‘superfood’ for it’s ease of use, versatility and nutrient density.
If you haven’t used it before, try it in this delicious breakfast crumble – it’s deliciously nutty in flavour and pairs well with almonds to make a crunchy topping to your morning bowl of goodness.
- 1 1/2 cups flaked almonds
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup wholegrain teff
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup (vegan) or honey, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 4 cups mixed berries
- 1 cup sheeps milk or coconut yoghurt (dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 160º (fan-forced).
- In a bowl add the almond meal, teff and flaked almonds along with the cinnamon and mix well. Add rice malt syrup or honey and coconut oil then stir to combine.
- Add the crumble dough to a baking sheet and press down into a large biscuit.
- bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown then allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, divide the berries into 4 bowls and spoon over yoghurt.
- Using your hands, roughly break up the biscuit into large chunks and add to the bowls.
- Drizzle over additional rice malt syrup and serve immediately.
This recipe was originally written for + published in Nourish Magazine.