Sometimes it’s not easy to stomach a green smoothie first thing in a morning. While it’s awesome to have high-quality nutrients flood your body, it can be an unenjoyable taste experience when you’ve just risen. This recipe is offer a much more fun experience – and helps to get your kids to eat their greens too! Enjoy alone as a snack any time, or cube and add to breakfast bowls and salads. Can also be used as a jelly spread for your wholemeal toast! Move over refined sugar-laden marmalade.
- 500ml cold-pressed green juice (spinach, apple and lemon is my fave)
- 2 teaspoons of agar agar or edible gelatine
- In a saucepan, add juice and sprinkle over the gelling agent. Allow to sit for five minutes, then mix and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Immediately remove from heat once bubbling, and allow to cool slightly before pouring into silicone moulds or ice subs trays.
- Set in the fridge for 30 minutes, until mixture solidifies – then turn out from the moulds and enjoy as a nutritious snack.
Substitute green juice for any of your favourites – experiment with berry juices, carrot juice, beet juice or even just plain old orange.