Sydney’s stores and farmer’s markets are brimming full of summer berries – YAY. Some of you will be able to buy berries all year long depending on where you live (not jealous at all). Regardless, make the best of these little jewels while they’re around. They all have so much to offer nutritionally – topping the charts in antioxidant power, protecting your body against inflammation and free radicals (those molecules that damage cells and organs). They’re also loaded with fibre which helps you to feel full and eat less (for those watching their weight).
This simple porridge showcases them perfectly and is packed with protein. A great post-workout brekkie, or perfect fuel for a long day at the office.
- ⅓ cup gluten-free quick oats
- ½ cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup plain Greek or coconut yogurt (vegan)
- 1 tsp granulated stevia (like Natvia) or maple syrup
- ½ cup fresh summer fruit (e.g. strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango, etc.)
- ¼ tsp natural vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla pea protein (optional)
- Edible flowers (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the oats and water or milk, then heat (microwave or stove) until thickened, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken a little for 5 minutes.
- Stir through vanilla essence and sweetener, along with protein powder (if using). You may find a small whisk helps with any lumps.
- Once combined, stir through the yoghurt and serve in a bowl.
- Top with fresh berries, flowers and a sprinkle of cinnamon.