While I would love to gorge myself on a packet of Jaffa Cakes (the king of UK treats – look them up!), I would hate to know the list of ingredients. Living healthily means finding a balance of whole foods, while enjoying the taste of things you love, so here’s my replacement for the Jaffa Cake, and a fine one at that. Jaffa Protein Balls at the ready…
SERVES: 25 balls
- 1 ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup natural / vanilla / chocolate protein powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ½ cup raw almonds
- zest and juice of 1 small orange
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
- Place dates in a food processor, and blend to a thick paste (adding a little water if necessary).
- Add almond meal, protein (if using), salt, vanilla and cacao powder and blend again until combined.
- Add in whole almonds, zest and juice of the orange (reserving a tablespoon of zest for rolling).
- Process until the mixture is coarsely ground and starts to come together.
- Take a tablespoon of mixture in your hands and gently roll with your palms.
- Place remaining zest in a shallow plate and quickly roll the balls in it before storing in a glass jar.
- These will keep in a cool corner of your kitchen for up to a week.