When the temperatures drop and the days get shorter, nothing hits the spot like a bowl of warm soup. Store-bought varieties are convenient, but they can be shockingly salty, and packed with heavy cream. This recipe is deliciously nourishing, surprisingly filling, and low carb. A great recipe for rest-days from the gym, curled up on the couch with your favourite blanket.
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pepitas (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil.
- Adding the onion and cook until soft, then add crushed garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, water, lettuce, lemon juice and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stand 5 minutes, before processing soup until smooth with a hand blender or food processor.
- Return soup to saucepan; add coconut milk and stir over the heat until soup is hot.
- Season to taste with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with an extra drizzle of coconut milk, pepitas and coconut flakes.