It’s coming into autumn here in Australia – cue rubbish winter skin. The cool air can take away the thin layer of oil that traps moisture in the skin causing dull, dry skin making it more susceptible to worse problems like eczema and psoriasis.
While nutrition plays a huge role in the quality of your skin (think salmon, avo, nuts, herbal tea), there are some things you can do to help it out when the weather turns. Check out skincare specialist Irene Falcone’s top 5 tips to care for your skin this winter:
- Turn off the heater! The dry, hot air from heaters is just as damaging to your skin as the outside air. Instead try to rug up with your Winter woolies, or try keep the heater on low. Same goes for boiling hot morning showers, keep them to a minimum and try to keep them at a nice reasonable temperature.
- Swap to a more gentle exfoliator (or just reduce the number of times per week you are exfoliating) as this is just another process removing that already thinning layer of oil. Try an exfoliator with jojoba beads or a weekly peel for a more gentle approach.
- Swap your foundation for a tinted moisturiser. This will help to moisturise and protect your skin during the day and help maintain that dewy, glow.
- Hydrate from the inside out. Drinking lots of warm herbal teas, bone broths and soups will help to keep your skin hydrated from inside out. Almond milk is also a great because it is rich in Vitamin E.
- Replace your night time serum or eye gel with a more rich, nourishing facial oil or cream to give your skin extra nourishment and protection.
So there you have it…take a little extra care of yourself in the colder months to make sure you glow year-round Fittie!
Top tip: if you just have to have the heating on (like me), try a room humidifier to keep the air from drying out.
- What’s Yoga Teacher Training Really Like? - February 4, 2018
- 8 Proven Reasons You’ll Be Successful - January 29, 2018
- How to save $$$ on Health Food and Gym Gear! - January 22, 2018
- How this incredible Fitness Entrepreneur, Human Rights Activist and Mum of 3 juggles it all successfully. - January 5, 2018
- How to turn your side hustle into a booming business - January 2, 2018