As far as wellness goes, I feel like I’m pretty up there. I work out 5-6 days a week, I eat well, I walk every where, I get fresh air + plenty of sunshine. What else could I need, right?
Whilst I spend a lot of time drinking green juice and going to yoges, it’s pretty rare I take note of my mental wellbeing. Not very good for a yogi, hey?! Blogging, photographing, editing, meetings, packaging design, emails and more take centre stage A LOT of the time. Whilst I’d love to say I meditate daily, I always seem to make an excuse NOT to make time for it. Like I’m busy walking the dog, or reading up on business strategy – whatever the excuse, that’s all it is. An excuse. So when I was approached by Marvel to embark on a 7 day mindfulness journey to highlight the themes of a cool new film, I was like HECK YEAH, I need me some of that. A dedicated set of days where I would focus on me and my total wellbeing. Not too big of a commitment, but enough time for it to have some impact.
So why Marvel? And why mindfullness?
Great questions. There’s an awesome new film launching on THE 27th October called Marvel studios Doctor Strange. The story centres around Dr. Stephen Vincent Strange – a world-renowned neurosurgeon who goes on a journey of healing discovery after a tragic accident, and learns to open his mind to new ways of thinking.
We all need a bit of that right? Mindfulness. Yes please. Shaping our reality? Double yes.
Rather than me ramble on about how cool the story is, you can watch the trailer right here:
Now I’m fortunate enough to take my own journey – similar to that of Doctor Strange – to experience the transformation myself. Sign me upppppp.
Focus areas for my 7 day journey`
The film has strong themes of all the below, and I get to experience them first hand and report back to you guys. Excited!
- Enlightenment – I start my journey of mindfulness with a 1 on 1 meditation class hosted by a specialist meditation coach.
- Overcoming adversity – A life coaching session will challenge me to think deeply about the issues that matter most, with a space to share my thoughts, ideas and experiences with an open-minded individual.
- Opening my mind – as part of my yoga practice, i’ll be including poses specifically designed to open me up both mentally and physically, such as Camel Pose, Bound Angle Pose (forward fold variation) and Revolved Head to Knee Pose. Just like martial arts in the film, i’ll need to be mindful, aware and conscious on the mat.
- Releasing my potential – I will be tasked with working with and/or observing a mentor who serves to lift me higher.
1 x 1:1 meditation coaching session
1 x life coaching session
My own yoga practice
Observing a mentor
A bit of journalling (if I’m feeling that vibe)
Mindfulness: Where I’m at right now
Ever eat a meal before you’ve realised you barely tasted it? Or spent the afternoon with a girlfriend not really listening to her new boy dramas whilst you scroll Facebook? I have, and still do, fall into the trap of not being present. Multitasking has become a big part of what it takes to juggle two businesses – it’s how I stay afloat. But when you’re not present in your personal life, the loveliest of things can pass you by. That’s why I’m hoping this week will give me a little re-boot in that area. A reminder to focus on the here and now, seeing joy in the small things, and appreciate every moment. Being able to let go of your to-do list and be present enabled Doctor Strange to open his mind – which is something i’d love to get better at to release my full potential.
I look forward to taking you on the journey with me and telling you all about what I’ve achieved after my 7 days. You can stay up-to-date daily over on Instagram for all the latest.
In the meantime, add a note to your calendar to go and see this movie (release date: Thursday, 27th Oct!) with a girlfriend, your mum, brother, neighbour – its seriously cool and one that everyone can enjoy. See you on the other side Fitties! xo
*Editor’s Note: This article is proudly sponsored by Marvel. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Fit Foodie Blog possible. All opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
- 5 reasons why you’re not reaching your health goals - July 17, 2017
- Why the quality of calories actually matter - July 12, 2017
- My secret to sensitive-free teeth - June 9, 2017
- 3 wallet-friendly ways to detox after a blow-out - May 15, 2017
- Taline Gabriel shares her Instagram Secrets! - April 3, 2017