Did you know your skin is your largest organ? Just as you nourish your body from the inside, it's important to look after your outside too! There's one simple step you can add to your morning routine that can greatly improve its health – dry body brushing.
The benefits of dry skin brushing go beyond skin deep, offering whole-body benefits to your health. If your skin is overrun with toxins or dead skin cells, it will not be able to eliminate wastes from your body efficiently.
Kinda like it sounds - dry body brushing uses a natural-fibre body brush (available at pharmacies and beauty stores nationwide) to brush your body from head to toe before bathing. It will make your skin rosy, but is surprisingly therapeutic. I've recently incorporated it into my routine (as often as I remember) and feel instant benefits. It really is a low-cost investment for genuine visible gain. Screw you expensive mud wraps.
Benefits of body brushing:
- Stimulates your body's lymphatic system to help detox your body naturally
- Smooths your skin by exfoliating dead skin cells
- Boosts your immune system
- Helps stimulate sweat and oil glands to keep the skin moisturised
- Releases fatty deposits under the skin
- Boosts circulation
- Restores radiance
- Promotes skin elasticity
How and when should I dry body brush?
You can do it daily, ideally first thing in a morning before you shower. It takes between 3 - 5 minutes.
- Start at the soles of your feet, moving the brush in swift strokes up your legs and working towards your heart.
- Brush your arms from hands towards your heart
- Brush your back and tummy in a clockwise motion, following the movement of your digestive system.
- Lastly, brush your chest and neck.
- Shower as normal (lukewarm water*) and moisturise.
NB: I don't need to tell you to avoid brushing on broken or sensitive skin right? Leave that face and nipples alone! Standard stuff.
*Skip the scorching hot showers. I know it’s easy when you want to naturally douse yourself in warmth – but it’s a big no-no when it comes to trying to preserve your skin health. Boiling hot water can wash away your skin’s protective oils, leaving it tight and itchy. As pleasurable as it may be when it’s a bit chilly, try to keep that heat dial down!
You'll be glowing in no time...