Everybody’s drinking it: warm water with a slice of lemon first thing in the morning.
So what is it about these zesty fruits that keep celebrities and the health-conscious alike skipping their morning joe?
Lemons have a wide array of healthy impacts on your body. Benefits include:
Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C which is essential for good skin health. It helps the body to produce collagen, keeping your skin young and supple.
We all know vitamin C can give you a boost when you’re feeling under the weather. Try some lemon juice with honey and ginger in hot water to provide relief from cold and flu symptoms.
Greater nutrient intake
The sour properties of lemons increases digestive secretion (yuk!), which helps digestion and the assimilation of nutrients from your food.
Improved digestive health
Lemon juice in hot water stimulates the digestion and liver, which is why it’s so great to drink first thing in the morning.
Although lemons are acidic, when digested they have an alkalising effect on the body. So what? Acidic bodies encourage growth of bad bacteria, yeast and viruses, as well as increasing inflammation and fatigue.
A flavanoid found in lemons (called Hesperidin) possesses significant anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Great if you are sore post-training.
Tasty lemon tips:
- Dilute lemon juice it rather drinking it it neat: this will reduce the likelihood of tooth enamel erosion.
- Once peeled, lemons quickly lose their antioxidant value. Consume within a few days for best results.
- Don’t throw away squeezed lemons — add the pulp to your fresh juices to increase your intake of healthful flavanoids.
- If the peel is organic, use the zest to top your favourite meats and salads.
The Fit Foodie will be sharing health and fitness tips as well as awesome new healthy recipes for you to try during a live cooking demonstration at Vitality, 10-12 October at Sydney’s Royal Hall of Industries + Hordern Pavilion. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit vitalityshow.com.au.
- My secret to sensitive-free teeth - June 9, 2017
- 3 wallet-friendly ways to detox after a blow-out - May 15, 2017
- Taline Gabriel shares her Instagram Secrets! - April 3, 2017
- What a balanced diet really looks like - March 30, 2017
- Inside the grocery basket of a health food blogger - March 22, 2017